We ship parts direct to our customers!
Frequently Asked Questions
Check here first for answers to common questions regarding your garage door system. If you need additional answers, we recommend you seek the professional help of your local Overhead Door ribbon distributor. To find your local distributor, click here or call 1-800-929-3667.
What are the standard sizes available for your residential garage doors?
- In general, standard sizes for door widths are 8’, 9’, 10’, 12’, 15’, 16’, 18’, and 20’. Some door series may have exceptions to this rule. Check with your Overhead Door distributor about the availability of specific sizes or custom width doors.
Can I Paint My Garage Door?
- All Overhead Door steel garage doors can be painted with the color of your choice by using latex paint.
Can I replace a section of my door or do I need to replace the whole door?
- Depending upon the damage involved to the garage door system, it is possible in many cases to replace a section of your garage door. Your Overhead Door distributor can evaluate your situation and give you a recommendation on the best course of action.
What is R-value and how does it benefit me?
- R-value is a standardized measurement of thermal efficiency. The higher the R-value, the greater the insulating properties. Overhead Door manufactures insulated doors with a broad range of R-values designed to meet your needs. Our Thermacore® doors offer our highest R-values — up to 17.5.
How much does a garage door system cost?
- Our products are available exclusively through a nationwide network of Overhead Door ribbon distributors. The price of your new garage door is influenced by a wide range of factors, including regional conditions. Your local Overhead Door distributor should be contacted for an accurate price for the specific product you are considering.
What maintenance does my garage door require?
- We recommend you have your garage door inspected annually. Your Overhead Door distributor can give you the most thorough evaluation and perform routine maintenance as needed.
I have a low ceiling in my garage. Will a garage door and opener work in my space?
- Yes. A residential door requires a minimum of 4 ½” of headroom space. Your system will need a low headroom extension track or a low headroom torsion rear track. For a garage door opener you’ll need slightly more headroom, about 6 ½” minimum.
How can I get a new remote control for my opener?
- Your Overhead Door distributor can provide you with a broad range of opener accessories from remote controls to wireless keypads. You will first need to determine if your opener is a newer model with CodeDodger® or an older model that does not have CodeDodger®. However, if your opener was manufactured before 1980, you have an analog type opener that we no longer carry remotes for and your system will need to be upgraded with a new receiver kit. These kits are available through your distributor.
How can I program my opener to work with my Homelink® system?
- Some vehicles may require the ignition be turned on or the vehicle actually be running to program the Homelink transceiver.
Can my non-insulated door be insulated?
- Yes, your Overhead Door distributor has insulation kits available for installation.